Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Free agent updates


About a week-and-a-half ago I listed six soon-to-be unrestricted free agents I believe San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith should be targeting this offseason. Below are some updates on where four of those players stand.

1.      New Orleans Saints offensive guard Carl Nicks

Although he’s mentioned he’d like to stay in New Orleans, he knows there’s a good chance that won’t happen, since the Saints have to take care of other players about to become unrestricted free agents, most notably quarterback Drew Brees.

Excerpts from an article in the Times-Picayune:

New Orleans Saints guard Carl Nicks said he would love to stay in New Orleans next season, but he remains unsure whether the team will be able to re-sign him along with fellow free agents Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Tracy Porter and others. Nicks said it's “disheartening” that the Saints haven't made a strong push to re-sign him yet.

"They never talked to me at all about it really (last season), which I thought was kind of weird. But I talked to (General Manager Mickey Loomis) the last day before exit meetings, and he said they were going to do their best to try to keep me. So that's the gist of contract talks," said Nicks, who is expected to command a salary of more than $8 million per year as one of the NFL's marquee free agents.

"I would love to stay, but it's also a good feeling to be wanted. So hopefully a lot of teams want me, but I would love to stay," said Nicks.

When asked whether he believes the Saints will make a strong push to keep him, Nicks was hesitant.

"I hope so," he said. "Do I sincerely believe it? Uh ... they've still got to do Drew Brees' deal. And I think Marques is up and Tracy is up. I just don't see it, man, so I don't know. I would love to stay, but who knows."

The Saints could use their franchise tag on Nicks, especially if they are able to work out a deal with Brees before the franchise-tag deadline in early March. The franchise value for offensive linemen this season is expected to be set around $9.4 million for a one-year deal.

But Nicks said he would rather work out a long-term deal.

"I mean, if you're going to franchise me, you might as well give me a contract," Nicks said. "I figure if you're going to pay me that for one year, you might as well give me a five- or six-year deal that's probably not far from what I want."

My take: I think this a good sign for those of us who would like the Chargers to add Nicks this offseason, as it doesn’t appear he’ll be back with the Saints next year. I think A.J. Smith should do everything he can to bring Nicks to San Diego.

2.      Ben Grubbs

Grubbs, the second-best offensive lineman set to become a free agent, is in a similar situation to what Nicks is faced with. The Ravens would like to retain him, but they have other free agents to take care of, most notably quarterback Joe Flacco and stud running back Ray Rice.

            Excerpts from an article posted on the Baltimore Ravens official Web site:
Grubbs is set to become an unrestricted free agent this March. The Pro Bowler is expected to draw much interest, and possibly a large payday.

The Ravens are interested in bringing him back. But at what price?

“He understands and his agent understands the business, but I think we’re at a good spot with Ben,” Newsome said. “But, who will Ben keep us from getting and who will we have to let go in order to keep Ben? That’s going to be the balance.”

“Ben has two major factors that we like: He’s a really good player and he’s young,” Newsome said. “So, as we start to put together the 53-man squad, going into 2012, we will factor those things in.”

The Ravens are also preparing to give two other young stars, quarterback Joe Flacco and running back Ray Rice, new contracts. That affects whether they will have enough salary cap room for Grubbs.

Newsome was asked how realistic it is that he could lock up all three of them.

“I think to answer that, I would have to say then, ‘Who would we let go to keep those three guys?’” Newsome said. “Because if we decide to let four or five players go, waive them, terminate them, then we could keep those three very easily. But, the key is balancing – keeping the good players that we’ve got and trying to re-sign those guys.”

Another option would be to restructure a lot of contracts to make room for all three players, but “then we’ll end up paying for it three years from now,” Owner Steve Bisciotti said. The consistency-minded Ravens don’t like mortgaging the future.

In considering replacing Grubbs with an option already on the roster, 2011 third-round pick Jah Reid’s name was raised. Reid, who was drafted as a tackle, was active for all 16 games and played some guard.

“We’ve had Jah now for a year, and now we’ve got him for a full offseason and OTAs and stuff like that, so John and I are not afraid,” Newsome said. “(Head coach) John (Harbaugh), at the end of the day, is the guy that has to make that decision, and he is not afraid to play young guys when other guys walk out the door.”

My take: It looks as though Grubbs will most likely be playing somewhere else next season. Hopefully, if A.J. Smith can’t get Nicks, Grubbs will join the Chargers and play left guard for many years to come.
3.      Oakland Raiders safety Tyvon Branch

There’s nothing new regarding where Branch stands with the Raiders, but this post in the AFC West blog on ESPN’s Web site says the strong safety played 99.13 percent of Oakland’s defensive snaps in 2011.

My take: After reading this, can Branch be any more appealing as a possible addition to the Chargers’ secondary? Can A.J. Smith please take this guy from Oakland the minute free agency begins?
4.      Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril

Avril has let it be known he doesn’t want to be slapped with the franchise tag. He wants to stay in Detroit but desires a long-term deal from general manager Martin Mayhew. Yet, with superstar wide receiver Calvin Johnson about to enter the last year of his contract, the Lions would be wise to offer him an extension, which could make Avril’s situation quite tricky.

Excerpts from an article in the Detroit Free Press:

“I definitely don’t want to be franchised,” Avril said today, during a visit to the Super Bowl. “I mean, I’ve been in Detroit for four years, and I wouldn’t mind being there for another couple more years or whatnot. The franchise tag kind of makes it a yearly thing, and you want security. You want to know you’re going to be there for a couple years so your family can get comfortable.”

Mayhew said last month he doesn’t have any plans to use the tag but added, “You never know what might happen.”

“They quote-unquote don’t want to use it anyway, so we’ll see,” Avril said.

As for where talks stand on a new deal, Avril said things are “still in the air.” The 25-year-old is coming off a breakout season when he led the Lions with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles and didn't miss a game for the first time in his career.

“Kind of getting positive vibes as far as for me being there again next year,” Avril said. “Hopefully, we can meet in the middle and make it happen, because I’d definitely love to be there.”
Columnist Chris McCosky of The Detroit News believes Avril is irreplaceable at this point in his career.

Avril, given the importance of pass rushing defensive linemen in the Lions' scheme, cannot be replaced. Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson are certainly capable defensive ends, but Avril is on the brink of stardom.
My take: I wholeheartedly agree with McCosky. I hope the Lions see it differently, however, and A.J. Smith steals Avril from Detroit.

Meanwhile, there has been nothing new reported on Arizona Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell. The Cardinals are expected to re-sign or slap the franchise tag on Campbell before the free agent period begins—and, frankly, they would be dumb to let him test the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment